Presidential Election Order
Mr. Phil Hogan, T.D., Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government announced today (30 August 2011) that he has made a Presidential Election Order in connection with the forthcoming Presidential election, setting out the key dates in the election process, as follows:
Last day for receipt of nominations: 28 September 2011
Day on which the poll shall be taken: 27 October 2011
Hours of poll: 7.00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m.
The Minister has also appointed Ríona Ní Fhlanghaile, a Principal Officer in the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government, to be the Presidential Returning Officer. The address of the Presidential Returning Officer to which nomination papers may be delivered and other communications sent is: Presidential Returning Officer, Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government, Custom House, Dublin 1.
Every Irish citizen who is 18 years of age and included in the register of electors for a constituency is entitled to vote at the election. The total electorate currently stands at some 3.1 million.
People who are eligible to vote but who are not registered as electors still have time to apply for entry in the supplement to the register of electors to be published before polling day and so be able to vote on 27 October 2011. Application forms can be downloaded from www.checktheregister.ie or can be obtained from City and County Councils. To be eligible for inclusion in the supplement to the register a person must be an Irish citizen, must be 18 years of age by polling day and must be ordinarily resident in the State.
Applications for inclusion in the supplement must be signed in the presence of and witnessed by a member of the Garda Siochana or, if the person cannot attend their local Garda Station, by an official of their County or City Council provided they state the reason why they were unable to attend a Garda station. If, because of a physical illness or physical disability, a person cannot attend either their local Garda Station or their County or City Council, their application form must be accompanied by a medical certificate. The final date for the receipt of completed supplement application forms by the relevant City or County Council is 10 October 2011.
If a person is eligible to vote by post, or is unable to vote in person due to a physical illness or physical disability and is resident in a hospital, nursing home or similar institution, and they are not on the Postal Voters List or Special Voters List, they can apply for inclusion in the supplement to those lists. Application forms are available from County and City Councils who will advise people of the appropriate arrangements for the completion of the relevant form. Completed forms must be received by the relevant County or City Council not later than 1 September 2011.
- How the Seanad is Elected (pdf, 148 kb)
- How the President is Elected (pdf, 252 kb)
- Guide to Ireland PR-STV System (pdf, 70 kb)
- Electoral Commission Study (pdf, 1,203 kb)
- How Members of Local Authorities are Elected (pdf, 350 kb)
- How Ireland's MEPs are Elected (pdf, 344 kb)
- The Referendum in Ireland (pdf, 344 kb)
- Information for People with Disabilities (pdf, 247 kb)
- The Register of Electors - English (pdf, 275 kb)
- Register of Electors - Latvian (pdf, 274 kb)
- Register of Electors - Lithuanian (pdf, 276 kb)
- Register of Electors - Chinese (pdf, 245 kb)
- Register of Electors - Polish (pdf, 281 kb)
- Register of Electors - Romanian (pdf, 278 kb)
- Register of Electors - Russian (pdf, 288 kb)
- Register of Electors - Slovak (pdf, 281 kb)
- Register of Electors - Arabic (pdf, 293 kb)
- Register of Electors - Czech (pdf, 296 kb)
- Register of Electors - French (pdf, 290 kb)
- Register of Electors - German (pdf, 277 kb)
- Register of Electors - Hungarian (pdf, 280 kb)
- Register of Electors - Portugese (pdf, 276 kb)
- Register of Electors - Italian (pdf, 274 kb)
- Register of Electors - Spanish (pdf, 273 kb)
- more publications
- 22/05/14: European and Local Elections Dáil Bye-Elections
- 12/05/14: Electors with Physical Illness or Physical Disability
- 02/05/14: Dublin West and Longford -Westmeath Bye-Elections
- 11/04/14: European and Local Elections Friday 23rd May 2014
- Electoral(Amendment(No 4) Bill 2014 (pdf, 415 kb)
- SI 204 of 2014 - Electoral Act 1992 (Section 165) Regulations 2014 (pdf, 150 kb)
- Election Expenses Order - SI No. 144 of 2014 (pdf, 38 kb)
- SI 100 of 2014 - Local Elections (Forms) Regulations 2014 (pdf, 266 kb)
- European Parliament Elections (Amendment) Act 2014 (pdf, 349 kb)
- SI 39 of 2014 - European Parliament Elections Regulations 2014 (pdf, 312 kb)
- SI 35 fo 2014 - Electoral (Amendment) Regulations 2014 (pdf, 105 kb)
- more legislation