Local government is a central element of the Department's mandate and is critical to much of our work. We work in partnership with local authorities to deliver on the various policy and service objectives. We oversee the operation of the local government system and implement policy in relation to local government structures, functions, human resources and financing.
Local Authorities deliver most of the frontline services promoted by the Department.
Finding Your Way in this Section
Please use the navigation on the left side of your screen to find further information on local government topics. Publications and Press Releases related to the topic being viewed are available on the right side of your screen.
- Local Authorities
- Local Government Finance
- Motor Tax Online (external link)
- Motor Tax Offices
- Motor Tax Rates
- Check the Register of Electors Online (external link)
- Dog Control
Motor Tax - email@example.com
- Green Paper on Local Government Reform - Stronger Local Democracy- Options for Change April 2008 (pdf, 1,230 kb)
- Major Emergencies - FAQs (pdf, 40 kb)
- Dublin City Council Workforce Plan 2010 - 2014 (doc, 1,421 kb)
- Local Government Efficiency Review Group - Executive Summary (doc, 138 kb)
- Local Government Efficiency review Group Report (doc, 1,147 kb)
- more publications