Skip to main content

Applying for a Foreshore Consent

Pre-Application Consultation for Developments on the Foreshore (other than renewable energy developments)

Applicants for foreshore consent are required to consult the Foreshore Unit of the Department well in advance of finalising their proposals.  The pre-application consultation will require meeting with representatives of the Foreshore Section. Generally requests for a consultation are facilitated within 2-3 weeks.  Pre-application consultations are undertaken without prejudice to the outcome of any application for consent under the Foreshore Act.

At a pre-application meeting, an applicant should be prepared as follows:

  1. Present a comprehensive description of the project, timelines for development, other consents required, and consultations already undertaken.
  2. Be familiar with any planning permission, environmental impact assessment and appropriate assessment requirements.
  3. Where relevant, describe how the proposed development is compatible with local, regional or national development objectives.

A pre-application form (available below) outlining the project should be submitted in advance of the meeting.

An applicant is strongly advised to undertake further consultations with individual relevant State agencies (e.g. NPWS, Marine Survey Office) as well as local stakeholders (e.g. local authority, fishing groups etc.) before submitting a formal application for a foreshore consent.  A more comprehensive list of is available below

Pre-application or other enquiries in relation to foreshore consents can be addressed to:

Marine Planning - Foreshore Section
Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government
Newtown Road
Wexford Y35 AP90

by email to:

by telephoning the Section at the following numbers:






Donegal, Galway, Kerry,

Limerick, Mayo


Ann Banville

Rosaleen Ni Ghriallais


053 9137090

Dublin, Kilkenny, Louth, Meath,

Sligo, Waterford, Wicklow, Wexford.

Matt McLoughlin

Anthony Doran



Clare, Cork.

Pat O Neill

Shirley Kennedy




Guidance documents / information:

The following documents have been produced by the Foreshore Section as a guide to foreshore-related matters.  The documents have been compiled as a guide only.  They are not legal documents and have no legal status.  Responsibility for ensuring compliance with all relevant legislative requirements rests entirely with project proponents.  The Department advises project proponents to secure their own advice.  Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the contents, no responsibility is accepted for errors or omissions.



One day events:



  • Print this page

Publications & Documents

News and Speeches