There are three main areas addressed in this area of the website, Planning, the National Spatial Strategy and Public Private Partnerships.
- The physical planning system plays a key role in facilitating delivery of the infrastructure programmes and in addressing housing supply requirements. Local authorities and An Bord Pleanála directly operate the system. The Department’s primary role is to provide the essential legislative framework and policy guidance while seeking to minimise the regulatory burden and cost of the system. In addition, the Department provides an expert advisory service on heritage/conservation issues to planning authorities and to An Bord Pleanála.
- The National Spatial Strategy 2002-2020 is the national strategic planning framework to achieve a better balance of social, economic and physical development,across Ireland, supported by more effective planning. It recognises that regions of the country have different roles and seeks to organise and coordinate these roles in a complementary way making all regions more competitive according to their strengths. It seeks also to promote a high quality urban environment, as well as vibrant rural areas. The National Development Plan (NDP) 2007-2013 underpins the NSS objectives and the prioritisation of capital investment in line with the NSS will establish the Strategy as a viable and practical policy measure to encourage more balanced regional development placing the NSS at the heart of our capital infrastructure decisions over the next seven years.
- Public Private Partnerships (PPP) have since 1999/2000 represented a further method of delivering public infrastructure and services. The Local Government Sector has been to the fore in embracing PPPs in the areas of water, waste water, waste, housing and local services.
All of the items identified above are covered more comprehensively on this site. Please use the navigation on your left to access more information.
Planning: Phone +353 (0)1 888 2824, 8882418, 888 2823, 888 2810 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
National Spatial Strategy +353 (0)1 888 2823 Email email@example.com
Public Private Partnership +353 (0)1 888 2079
Environment Assessment +353 (0)1 888 2810 / 888 2824
- 2012 Annual Planning Statistics (xls, 1,046 kb)
- 2006 Annual Housing Statistics Bulletin (pdf, 918 kb)
- more publications