Within the housing sector, specific actions are required to address the wide range of special housing needs (the homeless, Travellers, older people and people with disabilities). These needs may influence the design of housing (to meet cultural preferences or mobility and socialisation needs) or nature of support, where accommodation only forms one element of the response to problems experienced by vulnerable groups.
For the most vulnerable groups (e.g. homeless persons, persons with addictions, persons with mental health issues), interventions in this area generally require an inter-agency response particularly where there is a care dimension to the supports required.
Schemes for people with special needs are administered through Local Authorities and the Health Service Executive.
- Housing Policy Statement - June 2011 (pdf, 265 kb)
- Tenant Means Guidelines - Tenant Purchase Apartments Scheme (doc, 142 kb)
- National Housing Strategy for People with a Disability (2011-2016) (pdf, 1,327 kb)
- National Housing Strategy for People with a Disability (2011-2016) - Easy Read (pdf, 1,815 kb)
- Increasing Affordable Housing Supply (pdf, 1,548 kb)
- Mobility Grants (doc, 44 kb)
- more publications
- 08/07/14: 2,000 Vacant Units Transformed into High-Quality Family Homes in 12 Months
- 17/06/14: Setting the Record Straight on the Housing Assistance Payment
- 21/05/14: AIB’s Residential Property Outlook Launch
- 21/05/14: Housing Minister approves €46 million for housing projects for homeless persons and people with special needs
- Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2014 (No 39 of 2014) (pdf, 700 kb)
- Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2014 - Explanatory Memorandum (pdf, 85 kb)
- Housing (Amendment) Act 2013 (pdf, 344 kb)
- Housing (Amendment) Bill 2013 - Explanatory Memorandum (pdf, 300 kb)
- SI 507 of 2013 - Housing (Sale of Houses)(Amendment)Regulations 2013 (pdf, 102 kb)
- SI 91 of 2013 - Finance (Local Property Tax) Regulations 2013 (pdf, 1,401 kb)
- SI 465 of 2012 - Housing (Sale of Houses to Long-Standing Tenants)(Amendment) Regulations 2012 (pdf, 84 kb)
- more legislation