Rental Accomodation Scheme
The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is an initiative by the Government to cater for the accommodation needs of certain persons in receipt of rent supplement, normally for more than 18 months and who are assessed as having a long-term housing need. RAS is a collaborative project between the Department, local authorities, the Department of Social and Family Affairs and the Health Service Executive Community Welfare Service.
One of the main features of the scheme is that local authorities in sourcing accommodation for these households make use of the private and voluntary sector and enter into contractual arrangements to secure medium to long-term availability of rented accommodation.
- The local authority pays the full rent to the accommodation providers on behalf of the tenant.
- The landlord must be tax compliant and produce a Tax Clearance certificate from Revenue Commissioners.
- The property must meet minimum standards for private rental accommodation.
- The landlord must register the tenancy with the Private Residential Tenancies Board.
- The Accommodation sourced may be the rent supplement recipients existing accommodation but where this is not suitable or where the landlord is unwilling to enter into RAS the local authority sources alternative accommodation. Pending the above, rent supplement continues to be available subject to the tenant continuing to qualify for rent supplement.
- Provision of an additional source of good quality rented accommodation;
- Greater housing security for persons with long-term housing need;
- Reduced dependency on the Supplementary Welfare Allowance scheme;
- Contributing to the attainment of greater value for money for the State in the provision of long-term accommodation solutions;
- Improved tenant choice and access to a wider range of housing supports in both the social housing and private housing sectors;
- Promotion of higher standards of accommodation in the private rented sector.
The Leaflet for Landlords, Accommodation Providers and Agents are available in the Publications and Documents area on the right of this page.
For any queries on general policy issues please contact the Department at email@example.com
Anybody seeking additional information on the scheme to that provided on this website should use the contact details follow.
RAS Local Authority Contacts (xls, 48 kb)
- 28/11/13: Minister Jan O’Sullivan reports major progress on tackling unfinished estates.
- 27/11/13: New Ballymun Town Civic Alliance is launched by Jan O’Sullivan TD, Minister for Housing and Planning
- 06/11/13: Energy Efficiency Investment Providing Warmer Homes For Thousands Of Families
- 15/10/13: Innovation And Reform To Mark Housing In 2014
- Housing (Amendment) Act 2013 (pdf, 344 kb)
- Housing (Amendment) Bill 2013 - Explanatory Memorandum (pdf, 300 kb)
- SI 465 of 2012 - Housing (Sale of Houses to Long-Standing Tenants)(Amendment) Regulations 2012 (pdf, 84 kb)
- SI 420 - Housing (Sale of Houses) Regulations 2012 (pdf, 86 kb)
- S.I. 162 of 2012 - Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (Prescribed Form) Regulations 2012 (doc, 720 kb)
- SI 680 of 2011 - Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 (Commencement)(No 2) Order 2011 (pdf, 109 kb)
- SI 679 of 2011 - Housing (Tenant Purchase of Apartments) Regulations 2011 (pdf, 200 kb)
- more legislation