The Household Charge is an annual charge introduced by the Local Government (Household Charge) Act 2011 which is payable by owners of residential property. It is a matter for owners of residential properties to register and pay the 100 euro Household Charge by 31 March, 2012 or, if opting to pay in four instalments, to register with their direct debit payment details by 1 March, 2012.
The EU/IMF Programme of Financial Support for Ireland commits the Government to the introduction of a property tax for 2012. We are one of the last countries in Europe to fund local services through local property-based charges. These services are essential to your community. They include: fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets; planning and development; public parks; street lighting; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities. These facilities benefit everyone.
A property tax, requiring a comprehensive property valuation system, would take time to introduce and accordingly, to meet the requirements in the EU/IMF Programme, the Government has decided to introduce the Household Charge in 2012. The Household Charge is an interim measure only and a comprehensive and equitable valuation-based property tax will be introduced as soon as possible.
Payment details and further information can be found at the Household Charge website (external link) or by phoning the Household Charge Bureau in the Local Government Management Agency at 1890 357357.
- 30/04/13: Status update on social housing delivery through NAMA portfolio
- 24/04/13: Hogan publishes Independent Review of the Compulsory Acquisition of land at Charlesland , County Wicklow, by Wicklow County Council – Allegations by Councillors Rejected.
- 20/03/13: Hogan publishes list of estates eligible for exemption from local property tax
- 01/03/13: Minister for Housing and Planning Announces €275m in Social Housing Capital Investment for 2013
- SI 1 of 2012 - Local Government (Household Charge) Regulations 2012 (pdf, 1,456 kb)
- Local Government (Household Charge) Act 2011 (pdf, 114 kb)
- SI 721 of 2011 - Local Government (Charges) Regulations 2011 (pdf, 106 kb)
- more legislation