The Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government is the Department primarily responsible for the formulation and implementation of policy and for the preparation of legislation in relation to housing.
The vast majority of housing services for which the Department is responsible are delivered through the local authorities. A limited range of services are provided directly to the public including grants towards the renovation and repair of thatched roofs.
The Department maintains links with a number of other Government Departments in relation to housing matters, particularly with the Department of Finance (external link) as regards taxation treatment of housing, e.g. mortgage interest relief, stamp duty on housing etc.; the Central Bank on mortgage finance; the Department of Social Protection (external link) on income supports for housing through the Supplementary Welfare Allowances Scheme; the Department of Health (external link) on the care and support for special category needs such as elderly or disabled people; and the Department of Justice and Equality (external link) on general issues regarding Travellers, landlord and tenant matters, property services and programme refugees.
- Housing Policy Statement - June 2011 (pdf, 265 kb)
- Tenant Means Guidelines - Tenant Purchase Apartments Scheme (doc, 142 kb)
- National Housing Strategy for People with a Disability (2011-2016) (pdf, 1,327 kb)
- National Housing Strategy for People with a Disability (2011-2016) - Easy Read (pdf, 1,815 kb)
- Increasing Affordable Housing Supply (pdf, 1,548 kb)
- Mobility Grants (doc, 44 kb)
- more publications
- 08/04/14: Minister O’Sullivan and National Traveller Accommodation Consultative Committee Mark International Traveller and Roma Day
- 11/03/14: O’Sullivan Launches €68m Local Authority Construction Initiative
- 10/03/14: €15m Fund for Vacant Local Authority Properties Launched
- 28/02/14: New Funding Model Central to Increased Supply of Social Homes through the Not-For-Profit Housing Sector
- Housing (Amendment) Act 2013 (pdf, 344 kb)
- Housing (Amendment) Bill 2013 - Explanatory Memorandum (pdf, 300 kb)
- SI 507 of 2013 - Housing (Sale of Houses)(Amendment)Regulations 2013 (pdf, 102 kb)
- SI 91 of 2013 - Finance (Local Property Tax) Regulations 2013 (pdf, 1,401 kb)
- SI 465 of 2012 - Housing (Sale of Houses to Long-Standing Tenants)(Amendment) Regulations 2012 (pdf, 84 kb)
- SI 420 - Housing (Sale of Houses) Regulations 2012 (pdf, 86 kb)
- S.I. 162 of 2012 - Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (Prescribed Form) Regulations 2012 (doc, 720 kb)
- more legislation