Public Consultations (Current)
Proposed Amendments to Technical Guidance Document H - Drainage and Waste Water Disposal
The Minister of State at the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government, Mr. Paudie Coffey, T.D., has announced a public consultation on his intention to amend Technical Guidance Document H – Drainage and Waste Water Disposal (2010) which provides technical guidance on how the regulatory requirements under Part H of the Building Regulations 1997 may be achieved in practice.
The consultation documents may be accessed at the links set out below: -
In May 2015, the National Standards Authority of Ireland published S.R. 66:2015 - Standard Recommendation providing guidance to wastewater treatment products in compliance with the EN 12566 series of standards.
S.R. 66:2015 provides guidance on the: -
- selection of wastewater treatment plants to treat domestic wastewater for applications for populations up to 50 PE in areas without a public sewer
- minimum performance required for wastewater treatment plants that have been tested to I.S. EN 12566 (Parts 1, 3, 4 and 6) standards and
- scaling parameters and the sludge storage capacity necessary to achieve the minimum performance recommended for wastewater treatment plants that have been scaled up from the tested plant.
The proposed amendments to TGD H 2010 are predominantly to remove the references to the national annexes to the EN 12566 series and replace them with a reference to SR 66:2015 in the interest of clarity. There are no amendments necessary for, or proposed to, the regulatory requirements of Part H at present.
Submissions and comments on the amendment to the technical guidance document should be submitted on the template below and sent by email to email@example.com.
Architecture / Building Standards Section,
Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government,
Tel: (01) 888 2893
The closing date for the receipt of submissions and comments is no later than 5:30 p.m. on Friday 26th February 2016.
Please note that all submissions and comments submitted to the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government for this purpose are subject to release under the Freedom of Information Act 2014.
Review of Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014, S.I. 9 of 2014
Mr. Paudie Coffey, T.D., Minister of State at the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government, together with Minister Alan Kelly, T.D., today (2nd April 2015) announced a review of the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014 (S.I. No. 9 of 2014), which will include an examination of the cost burden involved for one-off houses, including self-build, and extensions to existing dwellings.
A suite of documents is being published today to inform the Review, including a sample inspection plan drawn up by the Department of the Environment, Community & Local Government to inform the market in relation to offering realistic and appropriately priced professional services, and the Department’s own calculation of the costs involved. Also included for consultation is an information note setting out options for addressing the cost burden of the regulations for single dwellings and extensions to existing dwellings.
The consultation documents may be accessed at the links set out below:
- Information Document 1 (pdf, 327kb)
- Information Document 2 (pdf, 382kb)
- Information Document 3 (pdf, 244kb)
- Sample Preliminary Inspection Plan (pdf, 1,210kb)
- Cost Calculations (pdf, 206kb)
- SI No 9 of 2014 - Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014 (pdf, 273kb)
- Template for Comments / Observations (xls, 30kb)
The scope and objectives of the review are as follows:
(a) To review the operation of S.I. No. 9 of 2014 in consultation with industry and local authority stakeholders and members of the public,
(b) To consider in particular the impact of S.I. No. 9 of 2014 on single dwellings and extensions to existing dwellings having regard to specific concerns which have been raised in relation to the cost burden of the regulations and the level of certification required for this sector,
(c) To consider more generally the impact of S.I. No. 9 of 2014 on owners, occupiers and users of buildings have regard to the statutory purposes for which building regulations may be made (i.e. public safety, accessibility, energy efficiency, efficient use of resources and good building practice),
(d) To make recommendations that will strengthen and improve the arrangements in place for the control of building activity in keeping with the principles of good and fair administration,
(e) To report with recommendations to the Minister of State as soon as possible, but in any event no later than 30 June 2015.
Written submissions will be welcomed from members of the public and industry in general, and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday 15th May 2015. Please note that only submissions made on the attached template will be accepted. Please note that all submissions and comments submitted to the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government under this public consultation are subject to release under the Freedom of Information Acts 1997 and 2003.
- FAQs for Disability Access Certificates - Regularisation Certificates - 7 Day Notices (doc, 60 kb)
- PL11 Guide to the Building Control System (May 2010) (pdf, 249 kb)
- Building Control Officers (xls, 58 kb)
- Loft Conversion Leaflet (pdf, 80 kb)
- Loft Conversion Leaflet Amendments (doc, 1,576 kb)
- Radon in Existing Buildings - Corrective Options (pdf, 888 kb)
- Guide to the Condensing Boiler Installment Assessment Procedure for Existing Dwellings (pdf, 345 kb)
- Public Consultation -Draft Building Regulations (Part L Amendment) Regulations 2008 (pdf, 36 kb)
- Public Consultation - Draft TGD L Amendments 2008 (pdf, 48 kb)
- more publications
- 01/02/16: Minister Coffey announces the chairperson to the expert panel to investigate the problems that have emerged in concrete blocks in Donegal and Mayo
- 27/11/15: Minister Coffey announces establishment of an expert group to investigate the problems that have emerged in concrete blocks in Donegal and Mayo
- 22/09/15: Minister Kelly moves to address non-compliance with Fire Safety Requirements in residential developments
- 01/09/15: Minister Coffey signs new Building Control Regulations for single dwellings houses and extensions
- S.I. 180 of 2014 Building Regulations (Part K Amendment) Regulations 2014 (pdf, 109 kb)
- S.I. No. 133 of 2014 Part J Amendment (pdf, 111 kb)
- SI 105 of 2014 - Building Control (Amendment)(No 2) Regulations 2014 (pdf, 41 kb)
- SI 9 of 2014 - Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014 (pdf, 273 kb)
- SI 225 of 2013 - European Union (Construction Products) Regulations (pdf, 2,221 kb)
- SI 224 of 2013 - Building Regulations (Part D Amendment) Regulations (pdf, 111 kb)
- SI 147 of 2013 - Finance (Local Property Tax) (Pyrite Exemption) Regulations 2013 (pdf, 131 kb)
- more legislation