The Scheme aims to encourage community support for vulnerable older people in our communities, provides grant assistance towards the purchase and installation of monitored personal alarms to enable older persons without sufficient means to continue to live securely in their homes with confidence, independence and peace of mind.
As the cost of monitored personal alarms may change, the level of grant support may be revised to reflect the best value available in the market. Eligibility criteria for beneficiaries is set out in the information booklet for community groups under Publications and Documents on the right hand side of your screen.
Grant support can be accessed through community and voluntary groups registered with the Department. All applications for grant support must be submitted through these groups. The Department cannot accept applications for grant support from individuals. Subject to sufficient funds being available, the application process will remain open throughout the year.
The Department is interested in ensuring the Scheme achieves the widest coverage possible. Grant support is administered through community and voluntary groups registered with the Department. Groups wishing to participate in the grant scheme must register in advance with the Department. Before registering, groups are advised to carefully consider the terms and conditions attaching to the operation of the Scheme. Once registered, groups will not be required to undertake this process again.
Applications for grant support can only be made on the official application form. Grant application forms issue to community and voluntary groups when they have registered with the Seniors Alert Scheme. The application process requires groups to carry out an assessment of the older person's eligibility for grant support under the Scheme. Grant applications can be submitted at any stage during the year. Subject to sufficient funds being available, the application process will be open throughout the calendar year.
Steps for Accessing Grant Support
- Community and voluntary group registers with the Department;
- Group identifies older persons in need of assistance within the group's operating area;
- Group requests application forms from the Department based on need identified;
- Group visits with older persons, explains how the scheme and the monitored personal alarm operates, carries out assessment and completes the application form, as appropriate;
- Group identifies volume of monitored personal alarms required and obtains 3 quotations from suppliers of monitored personal alarms and at least 1 quotation for lighting (groups must be mindful of obtaining the best value possible) - quotations must be addressed to the community group, dated and specify a price per item of equipment;
- Group submits original completed application forms (ensure all forms are completed fully and accurately) with original quotations.
- Group retains a copy of all documentation for files;
- If the application and supporting documentation is satisfactory, the application can be processed by the Department.
- Group accounts for grant received in accordance with the Scheme's terms and conditions.
The amount of funding paid to community and voluntray groups operating the scheme is available on a county by county basis under Publications and Documents on the right hand side of your screen.
The Scheme of Community Support for Older People is closed and has been replaced by the new Seniors Alert Scheme with effect from 24th May 2010.
Seniors Alert Scheme
Community and Voluntary Supports Division
Department of the Environment,Community and Local Government
Phone: +353 (0)1 888 2997 or +353 (0)1 888 2430 or +353 (0)1 888 2486
- Seniors Alert - Grant Levels (pdf, 189 kb)
- Seniors Alert - Information Booklet (pdf, 1,258 kb)
- Seniors Alert - Registered Groups Contact Details (xls, 697 kb)
- Seniors Alert - Applicant Group Registration Form (doc, 81 kb)
- Seniors Alert - Sample Application (pdf, 652 kb)
- Seniors Alert - Terms and Conditions (pdf, 20 kb)
- Seniors Alert - Payments to Groups (xls, 243 kb)
- Communities Supporting Older People Payments 2004-2010 (xls, 416 kb)
- more publications