Local & Community Development
Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme
The Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) commenced on 1 April 2015 and will run until 31 December 2017. It succeeds the Department’s Local and Community Development Programme (LCDP).
The aim of SICAP is to reduce poverty, promote social inclusion and equality through local, regional and national engagement and collaboration. SICAP is a key priority of Government. The programme’s target groups are, children and families from disadvantaged areas, lone parents, new communities (including refugees, asylum seekers), people living in disadvantaged communities, people with disabilities, Roma, the unemployed (including those not on the Live Register), travellers, young unemployed people from disadvantaged areas and NEETs – young people aged 15-24 who are not in employment, education or training. There is a strong focus on community activation, social inclusion and community development, in addition to prioritisation of those most hard to reach in our communities.
The Programme has three goals which focus on: Community Development, Education and Training, and Employment. These goals are:
- To support and resource disadvantaged communities and marginalised target groups to engage with relevant local and national stakeholders in identifying and addressing social exclusion and equality issues;
- To support individuals and marginalised target groups experiencing educational disadvantage so they can participate fully, engage with and progress through life-long learning opportunities through the use of community development approaches;
- To engage with marginalised target groups/individuals and residents of disadvantaged communities who are unemployed but who do not fall within mainstream employment service provision, or who are referred to SICAP, to move them closer to the labour market and improve work readiness, and support them in accessing employment and self-employment and creating social enterprise opportunities.
As part of the programme of reform of local government, Local Community Development Committees (LCDCs) have been established in all local authority areas. The LCDC is mandated with bringing a more joined up and coherent approach to the local management of public-funded programmes in the areas of economic, social and community development. LCDCs are responsible for the co-ordination and implementation of SICAP in their local authority area. Programme Implementers (PI’s) have been contracted by the LCDC to implement SICAP.
Pobal has been nominated by the Department to act as its agent with respect to the national management and oversight of the programme. More information can be found at the Pobal website (external link)
Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government
Co Mayo F26 E8N6
Phone: +353 (0)96 24254
- District Electoral Divisions for LDCs under the LCDP 2013 (xls, 281 kb)
- Mid-Term Review of the Local and Community Development Programme (pdf, 1,176 kb)
- more publications
- 23/09/15: Ministers Alan Kelly T.D. and Minister of State, Ann Phelan, T.D. launch €28 million programme to tackle disadvantage and social exclusion
- : Minister Alan Kelly and Minister of State Ann Phelan welcome the outcome of the Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) tendering process
- 10/12/13: Hogan announces €47.7 Million for the Local and Community Development Programme (LCDP) in 2014.