Local & Community Development
The Local and Community Development Programme (LCDP) was introduced in January 2010. It replaced the Local Development Social Inclusion Programme and the Community Development Programme.
The LCDP aims to tackle poverty and social exclusion through partnership and constructive engagement between Government and its agencies and people in disadvantaged communities. LCDP is a key tool of Government in providing employment supports, training, personal development/capacity building and other supports for the harder to reach in the most disadvantaged areas in society. It is a locally accessible, frontline intervention, supporting disadvantaged communities.
Pobal (external link) manage the programme on behalf of the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government, the programme being delivered at a local level by the network of Local Development Companies (external link).
The LCDP is underpinned by four high level goals:
- To promote awareness, knowledge and uptake of a wide range of statutory, voluntary and community services;
- To increase access to formal and informal educational, recreational and cultural development activities and resources;
- To increase peoples’ work readiness and employment prospects; and
- To promote engagement with policy, practice and decision making processes on matters affecting local communities.
The objectives of the LCDP include the following:
- Develop and sustain a range of services to support, prepare and assist people to enter the Labour Market;
- Develop and sustain strategies with local enterprises to increase local employment prospects;
- Develop and sustain strategies to increase local self employment prospects.
Local and Community Development Section
Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government
Phone: +353 (0)96 24200
- District Electoral Divisions for LDCs under the LCDP 2013 (xls, 281 kb)
- Mid-Term Review of the Local and Community Development Programme (pdf, 1,176 kb)
- more publications
- : Minister Alan Kelly and Minister of State Ann Phelan welcome the outcome of the Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) tendering process
- 10/12/13: Hogan announces €47.7 Million for the Local and Community Development Programme (LCDP) in 2014.